I am so very excited to share my newest project with all of you. I painted the floors!
Fortunately I work for an organization that gives me all the creative freedom I want so, I take full advantage. The floors we had before had ugly carpet that was glued directly to the concrete. It was very labor intensive to remove the carpet: scraping off glue, sanding the concrete, staining the concrete, etc. And it left the floor with scratches and holes everywhere.
First I put a solid base coat on the floor. I used paint specifically for concrete. I used Behr paint from Home Depot. (Be sure to clean the floor and tape off the base boards) This step is very easy and it only took two coats. I literally just poured the paint on the floor and spread it with a roller. I got as close to the wall without touching them. Then I used a paint brush to fill in any holes and to cut in the border.
The floors in the foyer are a high traffic area and pretty much always have footprints and dust coming in from outside. In order to camouflage the dust I decided to paint a pattern on the floor. I searched the web for inspiration for a few days. If I can copy someone else, the easier it is. By the end of my search, I decided to just paint my own pattern.
The pattern seems a lot more intricate than it actually is. Basically, I just bought about seven rolls of painters tape (the edge lock kind) and started taping off stripes. I guestimated the amount of space in between each stripe and tried to keep all of them even. Like I said, I guestimated. I wanted this project to be fun and not a chore.
When I first went shopping for supplies, I greatly underestimated the amount of tape I would need. I originally bought two rolls and ended up using seven total. Take my advice and buy more than you think you need.
Next I painted the the stripes. For this project I chose a turquoise. I thought that would compliment the purple walls. I just used a small hand roller and made a quart of paint stretch to two thin coats.
I made sure I let the paint dry overnight before removing the tape. As I was removing the tape some of the base coat came off as well. Now I’m sure I could have done a better job priming the base and waiting longer to put tape over the paint. But, honestly, I have never experienced perfect tape removal (and I’m impatient). I wasn’t too worried about it. You would have to be looking for any imperfections to actually see them. After removing all the tape, I used a small paint brush and hand painted some of the stripes. Also I taped over any holes that were in the concrete and hand painted those stripes after. I didn’t want to fuss with taping a stripe over the hole.
Seven whole rolls removed and an hour later, I could rest easy and finally see how my pattern turned out.
After I removed all of the tape and just stared at the pattern for about 15 minutes with my proud face, I moved to the next step.
I lightly mopped the floor again to remove any dust to prepare for the clear coat. I just used water so there wouldn’t be any cloudy chemicals dulling the paint color. I did a lot of research on what to use as a top coat. As I said before, this is a high traffic area and I didn’t want all my hard work to be easily scuffed and scratched. Also the shine helps hide some of the dust coming in from outside.
I ended up going to Sherwin Williams and purchasing a concrete sealer. I only used a quarter of this sealer. It doesn’t take very long to “dry”. But, you do have to wait about 72 hours for the sealer to set.
Here is the end result. I am super happy with the way it turned out. Overall, this project is very easy and inexpensive but a bit time consuming. It’s like watching paint dry!
I hope you give it a try and send me pictures! Also feel free to ask me any questions 🙂